Friday, November 13, 2009

My Favorite Band...Ever


If you know me at all, you've probably just said "Devo" in your head. Yes, friends, believe it or not, Devo is my all time favorite band. Surprised?? I first was introduced to Devo in the summer of 81 at Camp Crosley in North Webster, Indiana. I was a 13 year old camper at the time. One night, during a talent show, all of the cooks from the kitchen did a lip sync of "Girl U Want". They gyrated, danced robotically, etc. I was really impressed. So much so, that, when I returned home, the first thing I did was go to Stonehenge records in Muncie and purchase the tape of "Freedom of Choice." (The album I'm seeing played in it's entirety live tonight........pause, quit breathing heavy, and, resume typing) In the fall of 81, I made up my own original dance to "Whip It". I'm sure a few of you have seen me do it once or twice. I performed it in numerous talent shows, on a game show "Puttin On the Hits", at many weddings (Meg's, Rachel's, my own; in a tux), and, mostly, by request, in the wee AM hours at Streeter's Tavern. I remember some of those. I have actually won over $1000 doing it competitively. For my newer friends, "No, I'm not kidding." .....  So, little to say, my love affair with DEVO is, for better or for worse, the longest I've consistently liked a band/singer. Love em. They make me smile with their sardonic/ironic lyrics. The fact that there is a very distinct line between those who "get Devo", and those who see them as "geeks", pleases me.  I like that so many bands are recognizing them as a great influence in their music. Bands covering Devo include Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. Pearl Jam even played their Halloween gig this year dressed as Devo and played "Whip It" for an encore. Devo performed at Muffy's party on the series "Square Pegs". Devo have done commercials for Honda scooters, Target, priceline, Swifter, etc. If you know Devo, the theory of "selling out" or "being dumbed down" is part of what Devo has always sung about. ...... It's as if, to me, Devo is continuing to work on the exact same "art project" they began as students together at Kent State in 1972. For the record, Mark Mothersbaugh got an "A" on their original college presentation entitled "The Truth About Devolution". That, was the beginning of Devo. ........OK........so, has everyone managed to answer my inquisitive blog post's title yet???  Good job. Well, gotta run. I'm roadtrippin' to see my band. (long pause) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment