Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I Love the NBA.....(so sue me)

Well, a brand new NBA season starts today, and, that makes me happy. I am a die hard Pacers (1st) and Bulls (2nd) fan. Now, I realize that there are a lot of NBA haters, but, that's never made my enjoyment wane at all. I lived in Chicago during the Jordan era, and bartended every single playoff game Michael played. The excitement in that city during his reign was amazing. I recall quietly rooting to myself while bartending whenever MJ and Reggie Miller went head to head. THAT...was basketball. MJ truly gave the city, and alot of the nation, a special bond. I won't even go into favorite Michael moments cause there were too many. I guarantee you though, that in most of those memories, his tongue was hanging out. ESPN reported this morning that yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of MJ's first appearance in a professional game. 17 points and 8 rebounds.....we had no idea what was ahead.
Don't get me wrong, I love football and baseball just as much,but, the NBA fan is a rarity these days it seems. I've listened to all the reasonings NBA-haters have spouted over the years...."It's not the same ever since Jordan left", "The season is too long", "There are no "superstars", etc etc etc etc........Whatever. These people are the ones sitting in bars b*llshitting statistics and facts non stop during games, without ever looking at the screen. I know alot of "sporty" Cliff Clavin's if you will. These are the people who claim Shaq is done, LeBron is overrated, Pacers have no talent, Kobe sucks, etc etc etc....If you don't like the game, I will accept that. But, if you haven't truly paid attention since hearing calls like "Paxson hits the three!!", then you really should try watching a little more and talking a little less. There are tremendously talented players out there (Kobe, LeBron, Dwight, Duncan) that might not have six rings, but, with the right crew around them perform as well as Jordan ever did. (Not taking anything from MJ). I agree the season is long, but, I enjoy the fact that even if you're cold at the All Star break, doesn't mean your season is over. In the NFL, if you stink at the half way mark, there's a better chance than not that your season is done. (See Oakland)
OK...that's my soapbox. I'll end by saying "I love this game!", "Go Pacers!!", "Go Bulls!!", and, if you want to talk NBA this year with someone who'll provide more lengthy comments than "Kobe good.".......call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment